More Textbooks & Curriculum
If your district did not adopt textbooks/materials, or if the adopted textbooks/materials are not meeting your students' needs, consider reviewing some of the resources below.
Textbooks & Resources Created by High School Computer Science Teachers
- O(N)CS Lessons by John Owen, a former Computer Science teacher in south Texas
- A+ Computer Science by Stacey Armstrong, a Computer Science teacher in the Houston area
- Exposure Java by Leon Schram, a Computer Science teacher in the Dallas area
- Blue Pelican Java by Charles Cook (deceased), a former Computer Science teacher in south Texas
Free Textbooks & Resources Created by Non-Profits, Computer Science Professors, and Universities
- Google Computer Science for High School - Custom Search, Find lessons, tutorials, and activities for K-12 computer science education
- Code.org Resources for Educators
- iJava by the University of Massachusetts, Amherst - online, interactive basic Java textbook
- Think Java: How to Think Like a Computer Scientist by Allen B. Downey, Olin College
- CLOUDES - Learn, Build, & Play with Simulations by Old Dominion University - Overview video & User Manual / Lesson Plans
- Computer Science I by Dr. Chris Bourke, University of Nebraska - Lincoln. Topics discussed in a general, language-agnostic manner, with subsequent sections devoted to language-specific syntax and idiosyncrasies. Covers C, Java, and PHP. Published under a Creative Commons license, free for use and adaptation.
- Learn Java in N Games Collection of game-based activities (including POGIL-style activities) for learning about Java programming. Can be used individually or as a complete curriculum. CS2 level.
Online Self-Paced Curriculum
- Institute for Mathematics & Computer Science (IMACS) IMACS offers teachers free summer access to their online self-paced AP Computer Science: Java Programming course. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
- Edhesive Offers Introduction to Computer Science, AP Computer Science Principles, and AP Computer Science A (Java)
Curriculum for Career and Technical Education (CTE) Courses
- University of North Texas CTE Curriculum - Information Technology Courses: Principles of Information Technology, Computer Programming, Advanced Computer Programming, Research in Information Technology Solutions
Some of My Favorite Java Textbooks for Reference
All-Around Great Resources
- Google's Computer Science Education website - Includes Learn Computer Science (Student Learning, Educator Resources, Coding Tools and Technology), Participate in Academic Opportunities (Diversity Outreach, Scholarships), Access Career Opportunities (Contests, Internships and Residencies), and Meet Our Partners (Community-Focused Programs, Community Partners)
- CS Teaching Tips